Finding the best solar generator is very difficult since every manufacturer claims their product to be the best than others. You may have to scour through many product reviews and generator specifications to find the best generator that will suit your needs.
Well, to help you choose the best generator we have researched many products according to their power output, battery capacity and other features. And after rigorous research we selected the best of them. So we present you the Best Solar Generators in 2020.
Also, the buying guide will enable you to know more about the generator, and we have added different generators so you can make a better buying decision.
- #1 Things to Consider when Choosing a Solar Powered Generator
- #2 Best Solar Powered Generators Reviews 2020
- #2 Cons
- #4 Nature’s Generator 1800W Solar Powered Generator – Best Generator + Panel Combo
- #5 Renogy Phoenix 246Wh Portable Solar Generator – Best Hybrid Generator
- #6 ROCKPALS 280Wh Portable Power Station
- #7 Aeiusny 296Wh Solar Generator
- #8 ExpertPower Alpha 444Wh Solar Generator
- #9 MAXOAK 400Wh Solar Generator
- #10 Goal Zero Yeti 3024Wh Portable Power Station
- #3 Conclusion
#1 Things to Consider when Choosing a Solar Powered Generator
There are so many solar generators available on the market, and choosing the one that will suit your needs is a difficult task. So to make things easy, there are several things you should keep in mind when investing in any solar generator
#1 Battery Capacity
This is one of the most important factors you need to consider. As you know there is an internal battery in every solar generator and its power output depends on its battery capacity. If the battery has a more amp-hour rating, it will provide more power for an extended period of time. But on the other hand, higher battery capacity results in big and heavy generator, which is unavoidable. So it all comes down to what you want from your generator.
The next thing you want to consider is the size of the generator. If you need a solar generator for outdoor usages such as hiking and camping, then it is better to choose a generator that is easy to move around and which is lightweight. And if you need a generator to power all your electrical appliances at home, then choose the highest power output generator but make sure it is not too big.
There are hundreds of solar generators available on the market with different sizes and weights. You need to choose a generator that you can handle properly and which is not too heavy for you. You should be able to transport it easily, especially when you want to use it for outdoor activities. But you may not have that many options to choose from and that is why we have created this guide. We are sure that you will find the perfect generator for you from this guide.
You need to make sure the generator you are choosing has enough power to run your favorite appliances. Also, to run some heavy inductive loads (Saw, compressor etc.) you will need more power than your daily requirements. Check the running watts of your chosen solar generator, not the surge power, because any solar generator will be able to jump-start any electric appliance with inductive load. Your selected generator should have enough storage capacity to run your devices and also take into account your geographical area. Suppose you live in an area where there is not sufficient sunlight throughout the year then you should opt-in for hybrid solar generator.
How small you want your generator to be? Of course, there are portable and compact solar generators available on the market. If you choose the compact generator, then its solar panel is also going to be compact because of the generator’s low power demand. One of the biggest advantages of using a small generator is that you can easily store it in tight spaces without any hassle.
#2 Best Solar Powered Generators Reviews 2020
#1 Jackery 240Wh Portable Power Station – Best Overall
- Founded in California in 2012, Jackery specializes in providing outdoor green power...
- QUIET GENERATOR & ECO-FRIENDLY CLEAN POWER: Jackery Explorer 240 is equipped with a 240...
- OUTDOOR CAMPING BATTERY: Portable power station specially designed for charging laptops,...
Jackery is our top pick for the best solar generator. This generator is equipped with all the necessary features that one solar generator should probably have and that too at a very affordable price range.
Thanks to its built-in 240Wh (16.8Ah, 14.4V) lithium-ion battery, you will get great runtime. That’s not all; this power station is specially designed to charge sensitive devices like laptops, mini-cooler, drone, and other outdoor electronics at the fastest speed possible.
If we talk about the output ports, then it features a total of four receptacles including one AC outlet, two USB-A ports and one DC car port for the user’s convenience.
Please note that this generator can supply a maximum of 200 watts of continuous power and 400 watts of surge power at 110 volts, so keep this in mind when choosing this product.
I really liked its auto shut-off feature which automatically shuts down the generator after 6 hours if it is drawing under 10 watts of power; thus, it will save you a great deal of power.
The maximum amount of power this generator can handle is 42 watts so there is no point in charging it using the high-power output solar panel. And also the voltage range is 12 volts to 30 volts.
If you need some other fancy features in your generator such as dedicated DC port and USB-C port, then there are other variants from Jackery available too.
- Reliable and affordable
- Lightweight and portable
- It has a great power output
- Pure sine wave output
#2 MAXOAK BLUETTI EB150 Portable Power Station – Highest Power Output
- Highest Capacity Power Station: 1500Wh/1000W(Max.), Longest Lasting Lithium Power Station,...
- What you Can Get: 1 * Portable Power Storage (EB150), 1 * AC Wall Charger, 1 * PV Solar...
- Multi-use&Various Outputs: 2*AC Outlets(Standard AC110V US Plug) for Most Household...
MAXOAK BLUETTI EB150 is one of the highest power-output power station we have seen so far. It is incorporated with a massive 1500Wh battery, and it can provide 1000 running watts.
Although, this amount of power may not be sufficient for some of the users, so at that time parallel capability of this generator comes into play.
By using this feature, you can connect two of these generators in parallel and thus you will get a higher power output. But still, 1000 watts of power is enough to run snow blower, mini-refrigerator, household dryer, CPAP, portable stove and drone.
What I like most about this solar generator is its USB-C outlet using which you can fast-charge any PD compatible devices relatively faster and it has a maximum power output of 45 watts.
If you are wondering about the charging time of this solar generator, then it depends on the input of the power of the solar panel and the strength of the sunlight. Since this solar generator does not come with any solar panel, you will have to purchase it separately.
Any 300-watt solar panel can take about 5 to 5.5 hours whereas the 500-watt solar panel can take about 3.5 to 4 hours to charge the generator fully. The weight of unit is 37.9 pounds and the dimensions are 14.6 x 6.5 x 14.4 inches.
- Easy to use
- Constructed from durable materials
- Massive power storage capacity
- Recharging is faster than other generators
- Compared to its Wh rating it is expensive
#3 Soyond 222Wh Portable Power Station – Cheapest yet Quality Generator
- 【Wide Compatible With Variety Outputs】- soyond 200W portable generator built in 110V...
- 【QC3.0 USB C Ports Designed For Type-C USB Devices】 - soyond 200Watt portable power...
- 【60000mA High Capacity Lithium Power Pack】 - 222Wh.20Ah/11.1V high quality lithium ion...
The Soyond 222Wh is the best affordable solar generator we have added to our selection. Despite its low price range, it has all the features that one typical solar generator should have.
The first thing you will notice about this power station is its compact size and lightweight.
Weighing at just about 4.8 pounds, this is one of the lightest power stations available on the market.
With the 222 watt-hour power, you can run many appliances at the same time including laptop, TV and mini-refrigerator, tire inflator and let’s not forget its DC USB ports to charge smartphones, cameras, and iPad.
By using the DC-DC converter in your CPAP machine, you can get longer run-time in emergency situations.
One of the biggest selling points of this solar power station is its multiple recharging method. Yes, you heard it right. Unlike other typical solar generators, the Soyond power station can be recharged using a solar panel, wall outlet and car’s 12V socket.
This feature gives you a great advantage when there is no sunlight available to charge the power station. The whole package comes with many accessories such as the power adapter, car charger, cigarette lighter and user manual.
Just like the inverter generator, this solar generator also gives you the pure sine wave output and the rated power is 200 watts whereas the peak power is 300 watts.
- Compact and lightweight design
- 3 recharging methods
- QC-3 & Type-C USB ports for fast charging
- Battery management system
#4 Nature’s Generator 1800W Solar Powered Generator – Best Generator + Panel Combo
- ☀Three Input(Solar, Charging, Wind): The Nature's Generator offers three different...
- 😊Multiple Outputs(USB, AC outlet, 12V DC outlets): The Nature's Generator provides...
- 👍Extra Power Storage and Three Solar Charging Panels: The 1800W generator platinum...
Most of the time, the user cannot decide which solar panel they should choose, and sometimes they end up damaging their solar generator due to high power input.
Well, to eliminate this problem altogether, Nature’s Generator has introduced this high-powered solar generator combo.
This particular solar generator comes with three 100-watt solar panels to charge the generator as fast as possible. What’s more, the built-in SLA battery has a 1200Wh of power storage capacity, and with this power, you can run any device you want.
You will be surprised to hear that you can recharge this generator in three ways; either using the solar panel, or household supply or car’s battery.
If we talk about the output outlets, then it features a total of 6 outlets including three AC outlets (1800-watts of peak power), two USB ports and one DC port (maximum 240W output).
The central LCD display allows you to keep close tabs on the battery level and other system information. The generator and solar panels both have wheels so you can easily move them around without any effort.
The only thing I did not like about this generator is its heavyweight (266 pounds). It becomes very cumbersome when you want to take this generator on hiking or outdoor trips. But once you get past that, I think this is one of the best solar generators you will ever going to get.
Finding the best solar generator is very difficult since every manufacturer claims their product to be the best than others. You may have to scour through many product reviews and generator specifications to find the best generator that will suit your needs. However, the solar generator containing polymer binder is one of the most recommended for its long duration.
- Great combo (generator + solar panel)
- Due to Wheel setup, the transportation process is easy
- Multiple output ports
- Come with many accessories
#5 Renogy Phoenix 246Wh Portable Solar Generator – Best Hybrid Generator
- The Phoenix is an all-in-one portable solar power system specifically designed for mobile,...
- This compact, lightweight back-up system combines highly efficient Rangy 20W...
- The Phoenix can be charged by solar, AC power, or car power and comes with a 17. 1Ah...
The Renogy Phoenix is different than all the other solar generators we have reviewed so far. This generator comes with a solar panel that is built into the generator’s body, which eliminates the need for carrying the solar panels everywhere.
It has equipped with highly efficient 20W Mono-crystalline solar panels which compact and lightweight too. Furthermore, the internal 17.1Ah (amp-hour) li-ion battery has a high life expectancy and it can withstand many charge cycles without losing its efficiency.
The Renogy Phoenix is rated for 246 Watts per hour, and it can supply 150 watts of continuous power.
Unlike portable generators, the solar generator features inverter technology and there is a whole lot of difference between inverter generator and conventional generator.
It’s true that the initial cost of the solar generator is high but you will be saving a whole lot of money on fuel in the long run so I would say it’s worth every penny.
To convert the DC power collected from solar panel, this generator is integrated with an inverter which has about 80% efficiency and given its price range, it is not bad at all.
I was amazed to see that, this tiny solar generator comes with 8 output ports such as one AC port, two DC port, one cigarette port, and four USB ports and because of this, you can charge many devices at the same time.
- It has a built-in solar panel
- 8 output ports for the user’s convenience
- Lightweight and compact
- Built-in solar panel is not enough to charge the generator quickly
#6 ROCKPALS 280Wh Portable Power Station
- LATEST ROCKPALS 300-WATT PORTABLE POWER STATION: Comparing to most similar power stations,...
- HIGHEST CAPACITY LIGHTWEIGHT LITHIUM POWER PACK: 280WH(3.7V 75Ah/12V 18.7Ah) lithium...
- EASILY THREE WAY RECHARGEABLE: 1)This solar generator can be recharged from the sun with...
If you have ever used any ROCKPALS products, then you know how reliable and trustworthy their products are. ROCKPALS has produced many great solar generators, and this product is no exception.
One of the biggest advantage of using this solar generator is its power output. If we compare the price range of this product with other solar generators then ROCKPALS wins the race with flying colors.
ROCKPALS is providing 300 watts of continuous power and 600 watts of surge power and that too at a very affordable price range.
It has many great features that make it worth your money. The first feature I like about this solar generator is its three-way recharging capability. Then comes its convenient output ports to run many different devices simultaneously.
If you are wondering about the output ports then it has 10 output ports; one DC port (12V, 8A), four DC ports (12V, 4A), four USB ports (two USB-A, two QC 3.0) and one 110V AC outlet.
If that is not enough for you, then the LCD display of the generator will surely impress you. It shows information like remaining charge, power flowing through different parts and volt/watt ratings.
Moreover, the pure sine wave power output of this generator adds another advantage to the list. You will get 18 months of warranty on this product to make sure it lasts longer.
- Straightforward to use and has an excellent build quality
- Affordable and has great power storage capacity
- Different output ports allow simultaneous charging of multiple devices
- Pure sine wave power output
- Some users reported that the generator shuts down on low load conditions
#7 Aeiusny 296Wh Solar Generator
- ✅ LARGER CAPACITY : 296Wh(10.8V/25.5Ah)/400W with AC Outlet, Car Port and USB Outputs,...
- ✅ BUILT-IN PORTS : 3 AC outlets/2 DC ports/4 USB ports powerful rechargeable lithium...
- ✅ EASY TO CARRY : 12.3*4.88*6.48 inches, 7.49Lb; it's the quiet generator you want to...
Aeiusny is another affordable alternative you should consider if you are in a lookout for compact and affordable solar generator.
This particular product has received 76% 5-star ratings out of 246 reviews so you can guess how awesome this solar generator is.
What impresses me the most about this solar generator is its high power capacity. This solar generator can supply 400 watts of continuous power and 800 watts of surge power to your electric appliances which is just amazing.
Built-in charging outlets enable you to run as many devices as you want and let’s not forget its three recharging capability. This is especially useful at night; here’s how.
Suppose there is no charge in the generator and you want to use it in the morning. Now, how are you going to recharge the generator at night without sunlight. At that time you can charge the internal battery of the generator using AC outlet, so this is a very useful feature in my opinion.
By using the 60-watt solar panel, you can fully charge the generator in about 10 to 15 hours which is pretty fast.
It has four USB output ports and two DC ports at the front and three AC output ports at the back. The manufacturer is offering one year of warranty on this product which makes it worth your money.
- High power output (400 watts)
- Three-way recharging method
- Built-in front LED light
- Excellent warranty & customer support
- Some users reported that the car charging doesn’t work sometimes
#8 ExpertPower Alpha 444Wh Solar Generator
- Powerfully compact: the 444Wh (3.7V 120000mAh) li-poly generator weights just 10.90 lbs.,...
- Travel off the grid: The 444Wh Solar generator is capable of powering all your essential...
- Silent strength: with its powerful 400W pure sine WAVE inverter, the Solar generator is...
ExpertPower is in the business of making solar generators for quite a while now and their products are trusted by millions of people across the globe.
This particular solar generator has a lithium-polymer battery that has a higher life expectancy and offers great efficiency compared to lithium-ion batteries.
It has a power rating of 444 watt-hours, and it can provide 400 watts of continuous power to your appliance. I really like it’s inverter which produces clean power and gives you a pure sine wave.
Another fancy feature I like about this generator is its 1000 watts of surge power which can jump-start any inductive load without breaking a sweat.
You may not know this but the power containing modified sine waves can damage your electronic device, and it causes the heating of the device which shortens the life of your device. We are also sharing a link where You can find more about the generator.
That is why it is advised to use the pure sine wave power, and this generator provides the pure sine wave. The manufacturer even claims that it can power 9+ devices simultaneously with the same clean energy as your household.
What makes this solar generator stand out from its competitors is its MPPT solar charge controller which maximizes the current going into the generator from the solar panel; thus, you will get faster recharge.
- MPPT charger for faster recharging
- It has great starting and running power
- Pure sine wave output with 80% efficiency
- Comes with many free accessories
- The generator doesn’t hold charge for an extended period
#9 MAXOAK 400Wh Solar Generator
- PORTABLE Power: Weight only 12.3LB. smaller size only L9.0*W5.7in*H11.2IN.More weight...
- Multi-use&Various Outputs: 2*AC Output for small appliance under 300W such as Laptop,...
- 3 RECHARGING OPTIONS: Easily powered from AC wall Outlet, DC12V/24V car charger or...
MAXOAK is another great manufacturer that builds all sorts of energy storage devices. This solar generator is lightweight and portable and that is why it has become the first choice for every camper and hiker.
Thanks to its a-grade lithium-ion battery cell, you will get about 400 watt-hours of running time. Please note that the continuous power of this solar generator is 300 watts, not 400 watts. I believe there is a writing error on Amazon about this product.
And also the starting power is 600 watts. Some of you may not know what a surge power is, so let’s discuss it.
All the electric appliances with inductive load (not resistive load) need some additional power to start and this additional power is called surge power or starting power.
This solar generator has three charging options including, solar power, household AC supply and DC car charging. You cannot charge the generator with two simultaneous power sources because there is one input port in this solar generator.
Moving on, this unit comes with some really cool accessories which are following; wall charger, car charger, car charging cable, solar charging cable, jump starter alligator clip cable, and Type-C cable.
The built-in Quick Charge 3.0 USB port allows you to charge any QC supported device quickly whereas the other USB ports also help in quick charging because of their 2.4-amp charging protocol.
- MPPT charge controller
- Pass-through function
- DC to car jump-start line
- Dedicated fast-charging USB ports
- Less power output compared to its competitors
#10 Goal Zero Yeti 3024Wh Portable Power Station
- [3000 WATT-HOURS OF PORTABLE POWER] The Goal Zero Yeti 3000 Portable Power Station stores...
- [ON DEMAND POWER] Run fridges, blenders, swamp coolers, tools, sump pumps, lights, medical...
- [SAFE FOR INDOOR USE] Be prepared for any emergency with safe, easy-to-use, gasoline free...
If you need a solar generator to run all the electrical appliances in your home simultaneously, then there is no better option then Goal Zero Yeti portable power station.
This massive solar generator can produce 1500 watts of continuous power and 3000 watts of surge power. With this amount of power at your arsenal, you can run almost any device you want.
One of the biggest selling point of using a solar generator is that they do not require any fuel and does not produce any noise too.
If you are a person who likes to monitor things through your phone, then you are definitely going to love this thing because it features the app using which you can check power usage and control the generator via your phone. Also, you can turn on/off the generator and even update the firmware.
The only thing I did not like about this product is its weight. There are other solar generators available on the market with slightly less power output than this and they are very lightweight compared to Goal Zero Yeti.
If we talk about the generator itself, then it measures 10.1 x 15.3 x 13.1 inches and weighs 68 pounds. This solar generator is designed for home usage, not outdoor usage, and the transportation of this generator will become very cumbersome due to its heavyweight.
Just all the generators, the Goal Zero Yeti also comes with a one year warranty which is pretty nice.
- Its lithium battery pack has many charge cycles
- Pure sine wave inverter with 1500 watts continuous power
- WI-FI enabled generator with mobile app
- Massive power output
- Expensive compared to other generators
So I suppose our guide has provided great value to you. We have added many options of solar generators; such as Goal Zero Yeti can power your whole house, Soyond is an affordable alternative, Nature’s Generator saves you the trouble of finding the solar panel and Renogy Phoenix has built-in solar panels. So what I mean to say is that we have added all types of solar generators so it will accommodate the need of every user. If you have any questions regarding any solar generator, then do let us know in the comment section below.